Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ain't I a real woman?

I wrote this post last summer for “for colored gurls”, but I think it’s still relevant, especially for this blog.

I’m sure you’ve heard of the new Fox reality TV Show ‘More to Love.’ The show kind of bothers me. It’s not only the fact that women are on a reality show for a few weeks looking for “love” (that’s reality, right?), it’s also that these women are touted as ‘real women.’

Don’t get me wrong, I think plus-sized women are beautiful like all women, and I loved the movie Real Women have Curves. But the title and the fact people say and believe this, in my opinion, is not cool. Well, not so much that they believe it, but that they believe it’s the authentic (and only or best) way to be.

I’m assuming a curvy woman is considered real because they’re not fake like thin women in Hollywood. However, I’m thin, and lots of other women are, too? So what does that make us? Little girls?

Well, that doesn’t make sense to me. I mean, I agree that every woman should love her body at any and every size, and if saying ‘real women have curves’ helps you feel better, then that’s awesome. It’s just kind of insulting (in my opinion) that I’m not seen as real because I don’t have dangerous curves ahead.

I also understand that most women in America look like this (research shows that one out of three women wear a size 14), but let’s face it, there are naturally thin women as well. It may not be as many, but we’re out here!

And one of my biggest pet peeves is larger individuals feeling like it’s okay to call me (or anyone else) ’skinny’ or ‘toothpick ‘ or any other name or phrase to make me feel bad about my size. (Can you say Mo’Nique?) I’ve made this argument many times, and people generally say the same things- it’s different because there is more discrimation against larger-sized people so it’s okay to critique thinner people. Well, I see it like this: no one should really judge or criticize anyone’s size, particularly if they don’t want it done to them.

So what’s the point? I’m really just venting but I really feel like the whole body image thing is a very serious issue no matter what size. I just wanted to point out the other side of the issue.

That is all lol.

What do ya’ll think?

2 comments:

  1. point taken...from a plus-size girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! People have always called me names that had to do with my body type, like broomstick, which is really offensive. And the Mo'Nique stuff...that drove me crazy too. Like you're really gonna try to make yourself feel better by putting me down? Really? If you were happy with yourself you wouldn't be trying to lose weight all the time.
    Everyone's comments used to get to me. When I was in my early teens, I use to try to gain weight, even though I really didn't need to. I have always been the perfect weight for my height and body type. I'm 24, I don't have curves, but I'm still a woman. I wish people would just stop hating and worry about themselves.

    ReplyDelete